Where can I get a 209A Order?

A 209A Order can be obtained in any District Court, Superior Court, or Probate and Family Court in Massachusetts. Should you decide to go to the District or Superior Court to obtain a 209A Order you may go the respective court in the area where you live or, if you have fled to another area to avoid abuse, you may go to the respective court in the area you have now taken up residence.

Go to the Clerk’s Office in the court and ask for a “protective order,” or a “209A Order,” or “restraining order.” You will receive a packet of forms to complete, which is your application for a protective order.

Show All Answers

1. What is the legal definition of abuse?
2. What is an abuse prevention order?
3. Who is a family or household member?
4. Where can I get a 209A Order?
5. I live in Watertown, which court can I go to?
6. The court is closed, how do I get a 209A Order?
7. Will a restraining order send my abuser to jail?
8. What happens if my abuser violates the 209A Order?
9. How will my abuser find out about the restraining order?
10. How much does a restraining order cost?
11. Do I need a lawyer?
12. How can I protect myself?